Updated: September 20, 2016


February 2016

Please Be Sure to File and Pay Your Taxes

Tax returns are due by Tuesday, March 15 for income tax and special income tax for disaster reconstruction, and by Thursday, March 31 for consumption tax and local consumption tax. The tax form is available on the tax form creating page on the website of the National Tax Agency. We recommend that you file the form as early as possible.


  • Sendai-kita Tax Office Tel 022-222-8121
  • Sendai-naka Tax Office Tel 022-783-7831
  • Sendai-minami Tax Office Tel 022-306-8001

Filing a Tax Return for Municipal and Prefectural Tax

<Those who are required to file a municipal and prefectural tax return>

  • Those who lived in Sendai as of January 1, 2016 and to whom the below does not apply.

*Please be aware that you are required to file the tax return even if you did not earn any income during 2015. If you do not file a tax return, Sendai City may not be able to issue you a certificate of tax exemption or other documents.

<Those who are not required to file a municipal and prefectural tax return>

  • Those who file an income tax return and their dependent family members
  • Those who earn a salary and whose place of employment submitted a “Salary Payment Report” to Sendai City, and their dependent family members

Rate of Light Vehicle Tax will Change from FY 2016

  • Small motorcycles and regular motorcycles 126-250cc and motorcycles 251cc and over
    (Please contact below for other vehicles)

Type of Vehicle

Tax Rate

Small Motorcycles

90cc and Less

2,000 yen


2,400 yen

Mini Cars

3,700 yen

Regular Motorcycles


3,600 yen


251cc and Over

6,000 yen

  • Increase of Light Vehicle Tax for old, three or four wheel vehicles
    To reduce the burden on our environment, a heavier tax rate for aging vehicles, vehicles aged past 13 years and more from the day the vehicle’s registered car number was assigned, will be increased to 20 %.
  • Introduction of reduced tax rates of Light Vehicle Taxes for three and four-wheel vehicles
    These include new four-wheel light vehicles which are/will be first assigned their registered car number between April 1, 2015, and March 31, 2016, and are environmentally-friendly with good gas millage and low-emission. Those vehicles will have their tax rate for the next FY (FY2016) reduced for one year.
  • Inquiries: Inhabitant Tax Planning Section Tel 022-214-8625

Information Regarding Support for Disaster Victims

  • The application period for Life Rebuilding Assistance for Disaster Victims (Basic Assistance Money)has been extended by a year.
  • Application deadline:
    (Basic Assistance Money) April 10, 2017
    (Additional Assistance Money) April 10, 2018
  • Please complete the necessary procedures if you are eligible, but have not applied for assistance money yet.
  • Please note that these are not additional payments for those who have already received relief money for disaster victims.
  • Inquiries: Disaster Victims Support Information Hotline Tel 022-214-3805

Financial Assistance for School Entrants

  • Eligibility: Low-income households(excluding households on welfare)with children who will start elementary school or junior high school in April and that meet one of the following conditions:
    1. Households that receive financial assistance for school enrollment fees
    2. Households that cease to receive public assistance within fiscal year 2015
    3. Households that receive a Child-Rearing Allowance
    4. Households that fall under a certain income bracket(including income of a guardian who lives away from home for work)
  • There is an application screening process
  • Amount: 22,000 yen per elementary school child, 27,000 yen per junior high school child
  • Application Period: March 1-August1
  • What to Bring: Any documents proving the above conditions and Resident record for all household members
  • Where to Apply: Administration Section, Public Health and Welfare Center of your local ward office

Loan System to Help Fund School Entry

  • Eligibility: Families who have been residing in Sendai for 6 months or longer at the time of application and cannot afford the expenses of their child entering elementary school or junior high school.
  • There is an application screening process.
  • You must have a guarantor living in Sendai.
  • Application Period: by March 31, 2016
  • For information on the application process, or for further details, please call or inquire at your local Sendai City Social Welfare Council in person:
    • Sendai City Social Welfare Council, Aoba Ward Tel. 022-265-5260
    • Sendai City Social Welfare Council, Aoba Ward Miyagi Branch Tel. 022-392-7868
    • Sendai City Social Welfare Council, Miyagino Ward Tel. 022-256-3650
    • Sendai City Social Welfare Council, Wakabayashi Ward Tel. 022-282-7971
    • Sendai City Social Welfare Council, Taihaku Ward Tel. 022-248-8188
    • Sendai City Social Welfare Council, Izumi Ward Tel. 022-372-1581