Updated: September 20, 2016


January 2016

National Pension Payments Begin when You Turn 20 Years Old

For those who have turned 20 years old and are not registered for an employee pension or mutual aid association pension program, please join the National Pension Program. National Pension will not only be provided to elderly policyholders, but also to policyholders that develop a disability, or to their bereaved families in the event of the policyholder’s death. Pension fee reduction is available to those who are experiencing difficulties paying their fees, so please contact the following offices for further details.(Please note that your income will be examined in the screening process.)

Inquiries: National Health Insurance and Pension Section of Ward Offices and Miyagi General Branch office, Public Health and Welfare Section of Akiu General Branch Office

Please Be Sure to File and Pay Your Taxes

Tax returns and payments are due by March 15 for income tax and gift tax, and by March 31 for consumption tax and local consumption tax.

Inquiries: Sendai-kita Tax Office TEL. 022- 222-8121
Sendai-naka Tax Office TEL. 022-783-7831
Sendai-minami Tax Office TEL. 022- 306-8001

Inhabitant(Resident)Tax Must Be Paid by February 1

Please make your fourth FY2015 Inhabitant(Resident)Tax payment at your closest financial institution by Monday, February 1.
Inquiries: Tax Payment and Administration Section  TEL. 022-214-1010

Individual Number(My Number)System will Begin in January 2016

From January 2016, your individual number will be required for administrative procedures related to the following three areas: social security, taxation, and disaster response when filling out application forms. When completing procedures, you will need documents to prove your individual number card, such as your Notification Card and a form of ID cards such as a driver’s license.
Inquiries: Toll Free Number for General “My Number” Center TEL: 0120-95-0178

Individual Number Card Issuing will Begin This Month
From January 2016, an Individual Number Card will be issued to those who apply for one at their ward office. When it is ready, they will first receive a “Notification for issuing Individual Number Card,” and must then go to the ward office or general branch office which is specified in the notification to collect the card. For information on how to apply and receive an Individual Number Card, please see the application guide

The Japanese Government has opened a call center (multilingual) for inquiries about the “My Number” System, Notification Cards, and Individual Number Cards.
Inquiries about “My Number” System : TEL: 0120-0178-26
Inquiries about “Notification Cards” and “Individual Number Cards”: TEL: 0120-0178-27
Available Foreign Languages: English, Chinese, Korean, Spanish, and Portuguese

The Cabinet Secretariat’s Official Website (Multilingual)for The Social Security and Tax Number System is http://www.cas.go.jp/jp/seisaku/bangoseido/otherlanguages.html(External link)

Currently Taking Applications for Municipal Housing(for Families with Small Children): Applications Accepted until January 16

The Application Guide for Sendai City Municipal Housing will be available from January 6 at the following locations:
Application Section of Sendai City Construction Corporation, Sendai City Hall Kokubuncho Building 2nd Floor
Shimin-no-Heya, Sendai City Hall 1st Floor
Information Desk of each Ward Office
General Branch Office
Family Registration Section of Sendai Station Service Center, Aoba Ward Office (5th Floor of AER)
Certificate Issuance Center
Chuo-Shimin Center of each ward
Lifelong Learning Promotion Center
Miyagi Housing Construction Center
Municipal Housing Management Office

  • How to apply: Choose one municipal housing unit, fill out the application form attached to the application guide and post it in the provided envelope by January 16. In the event that there are more applications than available housing, applications will be chosen by lottery
  • Earliest move-in date: March 23(tentative)
    Applications from those who lost their houses in the Great East Japan Earthquake and those from the restricted habitation area designated by the Act on Special Measure for the Rebirth of Fukushima are also accepted but differ in requirements. Please contact us for details.
    For further information including number of available units, rent and eligibility, please see the application guide or contact us.
  • Please contact us regarding the eligibility of applications from victims of domestic violence.
    Inquiries: Application Section of Sendai City Construction Corporation TEL. 022-214-3604

BCG Vaccinations

  • Eligibility: Infants under the age of one
    (the standard age for BCG vaccinations is five to seven months old).
  • Things to bring: Maternal and Child Health(MCH)Handbook, BCG vaccination coupon from the MCH Handbook voucher packet(please fill out and detach)
  • Please wait at least 28 days after your child receives a live vaccine(such as polio)or 7 days after your child receives an inactive vaccine(such as DPT-IPV) before having BCG vaccinations.
  • Vaccination sites:
    Aoba Ward Office 2nd Floor: Jan.18(Mon.)13:00- 15:30
    Miyagi Health Center: Jan.19(Tues.)13:30-15:00
    Izumi Ward Office East Office Bldg. 5th Floor, Main conference room: Jan.20(Wed.)9:30-10:30
    Izumi Ward Office East Office Bldg. 2nd Floor, Health Checkup Room: Feb.3(Wed.)14:00-15:00
    Taihaku Ward Office 3rd Floor: Feb.1(Mon.)14:00- 15:00
    Takasago Health Center(Miyagino Ward): Jan. 25(Mon.)9:30-10:00
    Wakabayashi Ward Office 3rd Floor: Jan.15(Fri.)14:00-15:00
  • Please go directly to the vaccination site.
  • BCG vaccinations may be received at Ward Offices outside your ward of residence.
    For details, please contact:
    Home Health Section of Ward Offices or Public Health and Welfare Section of General Branch Offices