Updated: September 20, 2016



Please check your emergency kit and be prepared for a disaster

When you evacuate to an evacuation center in a time of emergency, you should bring food, water, a blanket and other things.

Emergency kit list (example)

  • Emergency food
    • □Food
    • □Drinking water
  • Clothes, etc
    • □Clothes
    • □Work gloves
    • □Blanket
    • □Towel
  • Valuables
    • □Cash
    • □Bank books
    • □Personal seals
    • □Health Insurance Cards
    • □Other certificates
  • Medical goods
    • □Current medications
    • □Medication record
    • □Household medicine
    • □Bandages
    • □Cotton gauze
    • □Antiseptics
    • □Band aids
    • □Surgical masks
    • □Baby formula & baby food
    • □Disposable diapers
    • □Sanitary items
  • Others
    • □Portable Radio
    • □Flashlight
    • □Dry-cell batteries
    • □Plastic Umbrella
    • □Matches & lighters
    • □Wet Wipes
    • □Tissues
    • □Writing utensils

It’s against the law ! It is forbidden for bicycles to pass cars on the right side of traffic lanes

When riding a bicycle, you must follow certain traffic rules. In principle, if there are traffic lanes and sidewalks, bicycle riders must use traffic lanes and keep to the left. Bicycles passing cars on the right side of traffic lanes is a very dangerous action, so please refrain doing so. In addition, there are some cases where bicycles are exceptionally permitted on the sidewalk such as sidewalks with the “Bicycles Permitted on Sidewalk Zone” Sign (*see the photo below). However, pedestrians have priority on sidewalks. When bicycles ride on sidewalks, they must go at a safe speed. Bicycles must stop if they get in the way of pedestrians. 

sign of bicycles permitted on sidewalk  

Inhabitant Tax Payments

Please make the first FY 2016 Inhabitant Tax payment at your closest financial institution by June 30 (Thurs.). If paying by bank/postal transfer, the transaction will be processed on June 30 (Thurs.).


Tax Payment and Administration Section Tel: 022-214-1010

Water & Sewerage Fee Reductions for Tax-Exempt Households

  • Period: From the month following application to June 2017
  • Exemption Amount: Basic fees
  • Eligibility: Households in which all members are exempt from paying inhabitant taxes and that are suffering hardship in day-to-day life and do not receive financial support from other households.
  • The fee reduction will not renew automatically, so you must reapply every year. Please note that the reduction may not be applicable for some buildings.
  • How to Apply: Bring the following documents to the Southern Waterworks Service Center, the Northern Waterworks Service Center or the City Hall Waterworks Service Center after May 31: 1. FY 2016 Certificate of Prefectural/Municipal Tax Exemption for all household members. However, the certificate is not required for dependents 18 years of age or younger at the time of application. 2. A letter of proxy is required if applying by proxy. 

*From June 6 to June 10, a temporary application desk will be opened at the Miyagi General Branch Office on weekdays from 9:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.


Southern Waterworks Service Center Tel: 022-304-0020 Operation Section, Construction Bureau Tel: 022-214-8337

Tobu Emergency Medical Care Center will be closed down

Tobu Emergency Medical Care Center (3-12-1 Saiwaicho, Miyagino-ku) will be closed permanently on June 30. Please use other Emergency Medical Care Centers from July.


Health Policy Section Tel: 022-214-8196

Payment slips for FY 2016 National Health Insurance Premiums to be sent out

Sendai City will send out payment slips for FY 2016 National Health Insurance premiums on June 16. Please make your payment by the due date.

  • Health insurance premiums are calculated based on the insurance rate each year and are the sum of medical fees (fees for medical treatment) and support fees (fees for the elderly medical care system). The premiums of households with members between 40 and 64 years of age also include nursing care fees (fees for the Long-term Care Insurance System).
  • The FY 2016 insurance rate may be viewed at the National Health and Pension Section of Ward Offices and Miyagi General Branch Office, or the Public Health and Welfare Section of Akiu General Branch Office. The rate may also be viewed on Sendai City’s official website.
  • A dedicated call center will be open from June 16 (Thurs.) to July 7 (Thurs.). 
    Tel: 022-217-6531 (Weekdays 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.)


National Health and Pension Section of Ward Offices and Miyagi General Branch Office and Public Health and Welfare Section of Akiu General Branch Office

Don’t forget to submit your Child Allowance Notification of Conditions

If you receive a Child Allowance, you must submit a Notification of Conditions in order for Sendai City to confirm your eligibility and financial situation. The notification will be sent to you in mid-June. Please complete and submit it to one of the following offices by June 30 (Thurs.).
National Health and Pension Section of your local ward office or Miyagi General Branch Office
Public Health and Welfare Section, Akiu General Branch Office


Sendai Child Allowance Hotline Tel: 022-726-3730 (Weekdays 8:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m.)

Deadline to Apply for Municipal Housing is June 16

  • The Application Guide for Sendai City Municipal Housing will be available from June 6 at the following locations:
    Application Section of Sendai City Construction Corporation, Sendai City Hall Kokubuncho Office 2F,
    Shimin-no-heya, Sendai City Hall 1F,
    Information Desk of Ward Offices,
    General Branch Offices,
    Sendai Station Service Center, Family Registration Section, Aoba Ward Office (AER 5F),
    Certificate Issuance Center,
    Chuo-Shimin Center of each ward,
    Miyagi Housing Construction Center,
    Municipal Housing Management Office,
  • How to apply: Choose one municipal housing unit, fill out the application form attached to the application guide and mail it in the provided envelope by June 16. In the event that there are more applications than available housing, applications will be chosen by lottery.
  • Earliest move-in date: August 26 (tentative)
  • For further information including number of available units, rent and eligibility, please see the application guide or contact the number below.
  • Applications from those who lost their houses in the Great East Japan Earthquake and those from the restricted habitation area designated by the Act on Special Measure for the Rebirth of Fukushima may also apply, but requirements differ. Please contact the number below for details.
  • Please contact the number below for more information on requirements for victims of domestic violence.Inquiries: Application Section of Sendai City Construction Corporation Tel. 022-214-3604