Updated: September 20, 2016


December 2014

The ’icsca’ cards can now be used on the Sendai City Subway

The ‘icsca’ card is an IC card that can be simply touched to the ticket gates in order to pass. It can now be used on the Sendai Subway Namboku Line.

What is ‘icsca’ ?

The ‘icsca’ card is a prepaid transportation card containing an IC chip that can be touched to the ticket gate’s card reader to pay the fare. The card is rechargeable. In addition, you can earn points every time you buy subway tickets, and use them on future ticket purchases.

Registered and unregistered ‘icsca’ cards

When you purchase an ‘icsca’ card, you can choose between a ‘registered icsca card’ which requires your name, date of birth and other information, or an ‘unregistered icsca card.’ The registered card can be changed to a commuter pass. Even if you travel outside the area covered by your commuter pass, your fare will be automatically adjusted when you touch your card to the card reader at the ticket gate.

Initial purchase

The ‘icsca’ card is available at ticket offices at Sendai Subway Izumi-chuo Station, Kotodai-koen Station, Sendai Station and Nagamachi-minami Station, and at Asahigaoka bus terminal and the 1st floor of the Transportation Bureau building. The card can also be purchased and recharged at the ticket vending machines in all subway stations(excluding the initial purchase of ‘icsca’ commuter passes).Cards can be recharged with the following amounts: \1,000, \2,000, \3,000, \5,000 and \10,000. A card can hold a maximum of \20,000. The initial purchase price includes a \500 deposit(if you pay \2,000 for an ‘icsca’ card, \1,500 can be used.)The deposit is returned in exchange for the card when the card is no longer needed.

Can we still use magnetic commuter passes and transportation cards?

Sendai Subway magnetic commuter passes can be used until they expire. If you wish to replace your magnetic pass with an ‘icsca’ commuter pass before the pass expires, you can ask for an exchange at a ticket office. When the Sendai Subway Tozai Line begins operation on December 6, 2015, the ‘icsca’ card will expand to cover the Subway Tozai Line, Sendai City buses and Miyagi Kotsu buses, and bus commuter passes will be able to be exchanged for ‘icsca’ cards. Magnetic transportation cards will be valid for one year after that point.

Inquiries: Sendai City Transportation Bureau IC Pass Promotion Office
Tel. 022-712-8437

Have you registered for National Health Insurance?

If you have lost your employees’ health insurance due to retirement or loss of employment, you must register for National Health Insurance(unless you have opted to extend your health insurance or have become a dependent on a family member’s employees’ health insurance). Even if you delay registering for National Health Insurance, you will be considered enrolled from the month you lost your employees’ health insurance, and will be responsible for paying all premiums from that date.

If you have not yet registered, please do so as soon as possible at the National Health Insurance and Pension Section of your local Ward Office or Miyagi General Branch Office, or the Public Health and Welfare Section of Akiu General Branch Office.

Inquiries: National Health Insurance and Pension Section of any Ward Office/Miyagi General Branch Office
Public Health and Welfare Section, Akiu General Branch Office

Limits on Out-of-Pocket Costs for National Health Insurance for Those Under 70 Years Old Will Partially Change from January

Under National Health Insurance, if your total monthly household medical costs(for those under 70 years old, the sum of medical costs which exceed \21,000 per visit)exceed your out-of-pocket cost limit, you can apply to have the excess amount reimbursed through the NHI high medical fee coverage system. Your monthly limit for NHI out-of-pocket costs is determined based on your age and income. The monthly limit for people under 70 years old will partially change from January 2015.

  • If your household is eligible for reimbursement, you will be informed approximately three months after you your medical treatment. Please make sure to keep your receipts from medical institutions as you will need them to claim reimbursement.
  • Total medical costs do not include meal expenses or private rooms at the hospital.
  • Those who are under 70 years old and have already received a Certificate of Eligibility for Limit to Personally-Borne Medical Expenses will be sent new certificate by mail by the end of December. However, if you fail to pay your NHI premiums, you may not receive a certificate. Please contact us if you would like a consultation.

Inquiries: National Health Insurance and Pension Section of any Ward Office/Miyagi General Branch Office, Public Health and Welfare Section, Akiu General Branch Office

City Services During the Year-End and New Year

City services, except these services mentioned below, are scheduled to be closed from December 29 (Mon.) to January 3 (Sat.). As Ward Offices and other service counters are usually crowded before and after this period every year, we recommend that you come early to avoid the peak period.

Ward Offices

Each Ward Office and General Branch Office will provide the following services from the security room on a 24-hour basis(8:30 a.m. – 8:00 p.m. for Akiu General Branch Office) from Dec. 29(Mon.)to Jan. 3 (Sat.):

  • Acceptance of notifications regarding family registers, such as reports of marriage and reports of death.
  • Issuance of burial and cremation authorizations.

City Buses/Subway

Timetables and business hours for ticket counters, the Information Center and the Lost & Found Center will be changed during the Year-End and New Year. For more information, please contact the Information Center(8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. from Dec. 29(Mon.)to Jan. 3(Sat.))or see the Sendai City Transportation Bureau website at http://www.kotsu.city.sendai.jp/(External link).

Garbage Collection During Year-End and New Year Holidays

Please set out your garbage at designated collection areas by 8:30 a.m. on the morning of designated garbage collection days.

Inquiries:Your local Collection Office
Aoba Collection Office Tel: 022-277-5300
Miyagino Collection Office Tel: 022-236-5300
Wakabayashi Collection Office Tel:022- 289-2051
Taihaku Collection Office Tel: 022-248-5300
Izumi Collection Office Tel: 022-773-5300

Deadline to Apply for Municipal Housing is December 16

  • The Application Guide for Sendai City Municipal Housing will be available from December 5 at the following locations:
    Application Section of Sendai City Construction Corporation, Sendai City Hall Kokubuncho Office 2F
    Shimin-no-heya, 1F of Sendai City Hall
    Information Desk of each Ward Office
    General Branch Offices
    Family Registration Section of Sendai Station Service Center, Aoba Ward Office(5th Floor of AER)
    Certificate Issuance Center
    Chuo-Shimin Center of each ward
    Lifelong Learning Promotion Center
    Miyagi Housing Construction Center
    Municipal Housing Management Office
  • How to apply: Choose one available municipal housing unit, fill out the application form attached to the application packet and mail it in the provided envelope by December 16th. In the event that there are more applications than available housing, applications will be chosen by lottery.
  • Earliest move-in date: February 24th(tentative)
    For more details including eligibility and rent, please see the application packet or contact us.

Inquiries: Application Section of Sendai City Construction Corporation
Tel. 022-214-3604