Updated: September 20, 2016


February 2014

Filing a tax return for municipal and prefectural tax

[Those who are required to file a municipal and prefectural tax return]

  • Those who lived in Sendai as of January 1, 2014 and to whom the below does not apply.
    *Please be aware that you are required to file the tax return even if you did not earn any income during FY 2013. If you do not file a tax return, Sendai City may not be able to issue you a certificate of tax exemption or other documents.

[Those who are not required to file a municipal and prefectural tax return]

  • Those who file an income tax return and their dependent family members
  • Those who earn a salary but whose place of employment submitted a “Salary Payment Report”to Sendai City, and their dependent family members

Consumption tax rise in April

As of April 1st, 2014, the consumption tax rate will increase to 8%. Regarding the requirement to display the total price, an special exemption was made which allows the tax-inclusive price not to be displayed as long as any measures are taken to avoid misunderstandings(example: 100 yen(excl. tax)). For further information, please see the National Tax Agency’s website: http://www.nta.go.jp/(External link)

Financial Assistance for School Entrants

  • Eligibility: Low-income households(excluding households on welfare)with children who will start elementary school or junior high school in April and that meet one of the following conditions:
    1. Households that receive financial assistance for school enrollment fees
    2. Households that cease to receive public assistance within fiscal year 2013
    3. Households that receive a child care allowance
    4. Households that fall under a certain income bracket(including income of a guardian who lives away from home for work
    5. There is an application screening process.
  • Amount: 22,000 yen per elementary school child
    27,000 yen per junior high school child
  • Application Period: March 3-July 31
  • What to Bring: Any documents proving the above conditions
  • Resident record for all household members
  • Where to Apply: Administration Section, Public Health and Welfare Center of your local ward office

BCG Vaccinations

  • Eligibility: BCG vaccinations are given to children under one year of age
    (standard age for BCG Vaccinations is five to seven months old).
  • Things to bring: Maternal and Child Health(MCH)Handbook, BCG vaccination coupon from the MCH Handbook voucher packet(please fill out and detach)
  • Please wait at least 28 days after your child receives a live vaccine(such as polio)or seven days after your child receives an inactive vaccine(such as DPT) for BCG vaccinations.
  • Please go directly to the vaccination site.
  • BCG vaccinations may be received outside your ward of residence. For details, please contact:
    Home Health Section of any Ward Office
    Public Health and Welfare Section of any General Branch Office

Changes in the Designated Waste Collection Locations for Four Types of Home Appliances

One of the designated waste collection locations to which you can take four types of home appliances (Air conditioners, TVs, refrigerators/freezers, and washing machines/dryers)on your own has been replaced as of February as follows:

  • Previous designation collection location: Sendai Nittu Unyu
  • New designated collection location: TOHOKU TRUCK, Miyagino Handling Office,
    4-3-1 Nigatake, Miyagino-ku, Sendai
    Tel. 022-231-7567
  • Open hours: 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m., 1:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m. Monday to Saturday
    (Excluding national holidays and end-of-year and New Year’s holidays. For details, please contact us.)
  • For more information such as how to bring items to the collection locations, please see the Guide for Sorting Recyclables and Waste, and How to Put Them Out for Collection or Sendai City’s official website.

Inquiries: Waste Supervision Section Tel. 022-214-8227