Updated: September 20, 2016


August 2015

The My Number(Social Security, Taxation)System will begin

My Number System will begin in January 2016. Each resident will be notified of his or her own 12-digit individual number. The purpose of this system is to improve administrative procedures related to social security, taxation, disaster response, and to realize public convenience and a fairer and more just society.

We will start sending a notification in October 2015, and will start issuing an Individual Number Card in January 2016.
We will send a “Notification Card” through the mail, in order to notify you of your individual number. The number you receive serves you through your life time and you are only able to change it in the event of fraud. From January 2016, we will issue free of charge “Individual Number Card” for those who wish to have it. Individual Information such as Individual number, name, address, date of birth, gender, and a headshot, will be stored in an IC chip, installed in the Individual Number Card. However, confidential information such as income will not be written in the Card.

Notification Card(for all residents)
We will send a notification card via registered mail showing your individual number to your registered address.
Individual Number Card(for those who are interested)
Individual Number Card with a headshot can be used as identification. It can also be used for administrative on-line procedures such as “e-Tax(national tax declaration, tax payment system).” If you wish to obtain this card, please fill out the application form enclosed in the Notification Card and attach your photo, and then send it back to us. After January, 2016, you will receive the notification of the issuance for the Individual Number Card. When you receive the notification, please come to pick up your card at the ward offices or general branch offices which are written on the Notification.

The Japanese Government had opened a call center for inquiries about the of “My Number” System.
Inquiries: Tel: 0570-20-0178(Mon. – Fri. 9:30a.m. – 5:30p.m.)
Available Foreign Languages: English, Chinese, Spanish, and Portuguese
Tel: 0570-20-0291

Updated information can be checked at the Cabinet Secretariat’s Official Website for The Social Security and Tax Number System at http://www.cas.go.jp/seisaku/bangoseido/(External link).(There are English, Chinese, Spanish, and Portuguese pages available.)

Sendai City Bus & Subway Schedule during the Obon Period

  • Sendai City Bus: Buses will run on the Saturday schedule on August 13th(Thur.), and run on the holiday schedule on August 14th(Fri.) and August 15th(Sat.).
    The number of buses on some routes will be increased during morning commuting hours.
  • Sendai City Subway: From August 13th(Thur.) to August 16th(Sun.), the subway will run on the Saturday/holiday schedule. One additional train will be available after the regular last train of the Saturday/holiday schedule on August 14th(Fri.).

Inquiries: Transportation Bureau Information Center
Tel: 022-222-2256

Inhabitant Tax Payments

Please make the second FY 2015 Inhabitant Tax payment at your closest financial institution by August 31st(Mon.). If paying by bank transfer, the transaction will be processed on August 31th.

Inquiries: Tax Payment and Administration Section
Tel: 022-214-1010

Do not forget to submit documents for the Child-Rearing Allowance and Special Child-Rearing Allowance

Sendai City has sent documents for the Child-Rearing Allowance to single-parent households with children under 18, and documents for the Special Child-Rearing Allowance to households with children with disabilities to confirm whether said households are eligible to receive these allowances. Please complete the documents and submit them in person(please do not send by post).

  • Submission Period:【Child-Rearing Allowance】
    August 3rd to August 31th
    【Special Child-Rearing Allowance】
    August 11th to September 10th
    *Documents are only accepted during office hours.
  • Inquiries: Family Health Section of Ward Offices
    Health and Welfare Section of General Branch Offices

Don’t forget to apply for/renew your National Health Insurance/Medical Care System for the Elderly(75 and over)Reduction Certificate

If your household is exempt from municipal taxes, hospitalization and outpatient costs including co-pays and food costs can be reduced by presenting either the gendogaku tekiyo・hyojun futangaku gengaku ninteisho or the hyojun futangaku gengaku ninteisho reduction certificate together with your health insurance card at the reception desk of your medical institution. If you are eligible and do not yet have a certificate valid from this August, please apply now.

  • Eligibility: Members of households that are exempt from municipal taxes in FY 2015 and are enrolled in National Health Insurance or the Medical Care System for the Elderly(75 and over)
  • Things to bring
    1. For those who are enrolled in National Health Insurance: National Health Insurance Enrollment Card
    2. For those who are enrolled in Medical Care System for the Elderly: Medical Care System for the Elderly Enrollment Card and personal seal
    3. Receipt which can prove the length of hospital stay(only the case for 91 days or longer stay)
    4. FY 26 Gengaku Ninteisho Reduction certificate(if you have it)

Inquiries: Each Ward Office
National Health Insurance and Pension Section, Miyagi General Branch Office
Public Health and Welfare Section, Akiu General Branch Office