Updated: September 20, 2016


May 2015

Follow traffic rules for bicycles

Many people ride bicycles without thinking about traffic rules. But failure to follow the rules can lead to unexpected accidents.
From June 1st, if a cyclist commits certain “dangerous actions” such as ignoring traffic lights or stop signs twice or more within a three-year period, the offender will be required to take a bicycle riding course(course fee: 5,700 yen). Failure to take the course will result in a fine.
Please re-familiarize yourself with traffic rules and make an effort to ride safely.

  • In principle, bicyclists must ride in the street. Riding on the sidewalk is only permitted under special circumstances.
  • Bicyclists must ride on the left-hand side of the street.
  • Pedestrians have the right-of-way on the sidewalk.
  • Follow safety rules:
    Riding under the influence of alcohol, riding two to a bicycle, and riding two abreast are prohibited.
    Bicyclists must turn on their lights when riding at night.
    Obey traffic lights and stop at intersections to check whether it is safe to proceed.
  • Children must wear helmets.
    The following actions are also prohibited in Miyagi Prefecture:
  • Riding while holding an umbrella, using a cellular phone, or holding bags; bags must also not be hung from the handlebars.
  • Riding while listening to loud music.

Sendai Aobayama Community Square now open!

The Sendai Aobayama Community Square has opened in Aobayama, Aoba Ward. This community square on the north side of subway Tozai Line Kokusai Center Station is equipped as an event space and can also be used as a parking lot(for a fee).
Inquiries: Aobayama Consortium(Sendai International Center)TEL 022-265-2211
Tourism Section 022-214-8259

Light Vehicle Tax Notice sent

Light Vehicle Tax is levied on persons who owned a light vehicle as of April 1. The tax notice for fiscal 2015 was sent on May 11. Please pay at your nearest financial institution by June 1. If you chose to pay by bank transfer, the transfer will be completed on June 1.
If you receive welfare or have a disability, you may be eligible for a reduced tax rate. Please inquire for details.

(About tax notice or reduced tax rate)Inhabitant Tax Planning Section TEL 022-214-8625
(About payment) Tax Payment and Administration Section TEL 022-214-1010

Fiscal 2015 Inhabitant Tax(Exemption)Certificates to be issued

Certificates are issued by the municipality in which you resided on January 1, 2015. Sendai City will issue certificates for persons who have inhabitant taxes deducted from their salary(kyūyo tokubetsu chōshū)and persons who are exempt from inhabitant taxes starting on May 15. The City will issue certificates for persons who will pay using a tax payment notice(futsū chōshū)and persons who have inhabitant taxes deducted from their pension(nenkin tokubetsu chōshū)starting on June 12. 
Inquiries: Taxation and Accounting Section of your local Ward Office, or Taxation and Resident Registration Section of your local General Branch.

BCG Vaccinations

  • Eligibility: Infants under the age of one(typically received at 5-7 months)
  • Things to Bring: Maternal and Child Health(MCH)Handbook, BCG vaccination coupon from the MCH Handbook voucher packet(please fill out and detach)
  • Please wait at least 28 days after your child receives a live vaccine(such as polio)or 7 days after your child receives an inactive vaccine(such as DPT-IPV)before having BCG vaccinations.
  • Vaccination Sites:
    Aoba Ward Office 2F: May 25(Mon.)2:00-3:00 p.m.
    Miyagi Health Center: May 26(Tues.)9:30-10:00 a.m.
    Izumi Ward Office East Bldg. 5F Main Conference Room: May 13(Wed.), May 27(Tues.)9:30-10:30 a.m.
    Miyagino Ward Office 6F: May 20(Wed.)2:00-3:00 p.m.
    Taihaku Ward Office 3F: May 18(Mon.)2:00-3:00 p.m.
    Wakabayashi Ward Office 3F: May 12(Tues.)2:00-3:00 p.m.
  • Please go directly to the vaccination site.
  • BCG vaccinations may be received at Ward Offices outside your ward of residence. For details, please contact:
    Home Health Section of any Ward Office or Public Health and Welfare Section of any General Branch