Updated: September 20, 2016


February 2013

Filing a tax return for municipal and prefectural tax

[Those who are not required to file a municipal and prefectural tax return]

  • Those who file an income tax return and their dependent family members
  • Those who earn a salary but whose place of employment submitted a “Salary Payment Report” to Sendai City, and their dependent family members

[Those who are required to file a municipal and prefectural tax return]

  • Those who lived in Sendai as of January 1, 2013 and to whom the above does not apply.
    *Please be aware that even if you did not earn any income during FY 2012, if you do not file a tax return, Sendai City may not be able to issue you a certificate of tax exemption or other documents.

Tel: 214-8637 Inhabitant Tax Section for Aoba-ku and Izumi-ku residents 
Tel: 214-8638 Inhabitant Tax Section for Miyagino-ku, Wakabayashi-ku, and Taihaku-ku residents

Tax Information

Tax returns for income tax and gift tax are due on Friday, March 15th, and for consumption tax and local consumption tax on Monday, April 1st. Please file your tax return on the official website of the National Tax Agency or fill out the declaration form on the website and print it out and bring it to the tax office as early as possible.

Tel: 222-8121 Sendai-kita Tax Office
Tel: 783-7831 Sendai-naka Tax Office
Tel: 306-8001 Sendai-minami Tax Office

Subsidy for International Exchange Activities

The Sendai International Relations Association grants subsidies for activities that promote international exchange, multiculturalism, international cooperation, and cross-cultural understanding.

  • Eligibility: Sendai-based citizens’ groups
    *More than half of the members must reside in Sendai or commute to Sendai.
  • Amount of Subsidy: up to 100,000 yen
  • Please contact SIRA for more information, including the timeframe for activities, the application deadline, and how to apply.

Inquiries: Sendai International Relations Association Tel: 265-2480

Financial Assistance for School Entrants

  • Eligibility: Low-income households(excluding households on welfare)with children who will start elementary school or junior high school in April and that meet one of the following conditions:
    1. Households that receive financial assistance for school enrollment fees
    2. Households that cease to receive public assistance within fiscal year 2013
    3. Households that receive a child care allowance
    4. Households that fall under a certain income bracket
      (including income of a guardian who lives away from home for work)
  • Amount: 22,000 yen per elementary school child
    27,000 yen per junior high school child
  • Application Period: March 1-July 31
  • What to Bring: Any documents proving the above conditions
    Resident record for all household members
  • Where to Apply: Administration Section, Public Health and Welfare Section, Each Ward Office

Financial Loans for School Entrants

  • Eligibility: Families who have resided in Sendai for 6 months or longer at the time of application and for whom the expenses associated with a child entering elementary school or junior high school are a financial burden.
  • Amount of Loan: Up to 50,000 yen per elementary or junior high school child
    (excluding households on welfare)
    Up to 100,000 yen per child who enters a public high school
    Up to 150,000 yen per child who enters a private high school
    *All loans are interest-free
  • Repayment Deadline: Within 20 months after a two-month grace period
    Within 30 months after a two-month grace period if you borrow 150,000 yen
  • There is an application screening process.
  • You must have a guarantor living in Sendai.
  • Application Period: Until March 29, 2013
  • How to Apply: Please call or inquire in person at the following locations:
    Sendai City Social Welfare Council, Aoba Ward TEL: 022-265-5260
    Sendai City Social Welfare Council, Miyagi Branch of Aoba Ward TEL: 022-392-7868
    Sendai City Social Welfare Council, Miyagino Ward TEL: 022-256-3650
    Sendai City Social Welfare Council, Wakabayashi Ward TEL: 022-282-7971
    Sendai City Social Welfare Council, Taihaku Ward TEL: 022-248-8188
    Sendai City Social Welfare Council, Izumi Ward TEL: 022-372-1581

Measles and Rubella Vaccinations

One shot of the measles and rubella vaccine may not provide lasting immunity, so please make sure your child receives all recommended shots.

  • Place: Registered medical institutions(you may be required to make a reservation, so please contact the medical institution before you visit).
  • Things to Bring:Mother and Child Health Handbook, Vaccination Form(first- and second-term forms are included in the Mother and Child Health Handbook; third- and fourth-term forms are individually mailed), Health Insurance Card
  • After the vaccination period passes, vaccination becomes voluntary and you must bear the entire payment.

Inquiries:Home Health Section of each Ward Office
Public Health and Welfare Section of each General Branch Office


  • Eligibility: Children six months of age and under(recommended age: three months and over)
    *In cases where vaccination before six months of age is deemed inadvisable due to fever or other medical reasons, Sendai City provides for free vaccinations up to one year of age.
  • Things to bring: Mother and Child Health Handbook, BCG vaccination coupon from Mother and Child Health Handbook(fill out and detach)
  • Please wait 28 days after your child receives a live vaccine(polio or other)or seven days after your child receives an inactive vaccine(such as DPT)for BCG vaccinations.
  • BCG vaccinations may be received outside your ward of residence. For details, please contact:
    Home Health Section, each Ward Office
    Public Health and Welfare Section, each General Branch Office